Thursday, August 9, 2012

August 9 Morning :: Noon :: Night


Finding things to be thankful for, morning, noon, and night. It puts life into perspective. God's blessings are abundant, even in the small things. 


The zucchini are plentiful, and Verne brings me several a day. Thankfully, we all love them, and I know how to fix them many ways. I'm especially thankful for them this year since they didn't fare so well last summer. 


It seems our grocery bill is very low this time of year, what with all the nearly free food. My lunch today? A bird in the nest made with homemade bread, and a fresh egg from our own chickens. You've never made one, you say? OH, but you must! Simply butter a piece of bread, both sides, mind you, and using a biscuit cutter, cut the center from the bread. Place the bread into a hot skillet, and crack the egg into the hole, throwing the circular piece of bread into the skillet to toast, as well. You choose whether to keep the egg yolk in tact, or to break it. I prefer mine broken. Flip when the white is firm enough to do so, and cook for another minute on the opposite side. Season with salt and pepper. I also had a BIG plate of boiled cabbage, made from a head gifted from the neighbors. 



Collin and I took Lucy and our friends' dog, Lizzie, for a two mile walk after supper. This colorful little spotted newt crossed our path. The evening was cooler than they have been for quite some time. The weather and the company were most enjoyable.




3 comments:

Preciouspeas said...

That sounds like a great idea for a breakfast and we happen to have fresh eggs ourselves. Nothing like farm fresh eggs - I wouldn't go back to the store bought ever!
Blessings,
Michelle

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I'll have to remember to make this for the kids soon! Not the boiled cabbage though! ha!

Sounds like a great day - that newt photo is wonderful....

Deanna

Sarah-the-Bookworm said...

I don't eat eggs-as-eggs but I think I'll try a version with halloumi or mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and herbs from the garden...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...