Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pears



When some friends invited us to share in the bounty of their organic pear tree, we had no idea what to expect. Upon pulling into the driveway and assessing the size of the tree I figured we'd get a bushel or so.

A bushel or so? HA!

See those baskets? They're half bushel baskets. See the buckets? They're half bushels, too. Then there are the tote bags- they're better than half bushels. The boxes are full bushels. And the Rubbermaid tote? I have no idea.

We brought 11 containers of pears home, and I started with the small containers. I've used three buckets, one basket, and one tote. So far we've gotten 41 quarts of pear halves (and those jars are FULL!), and a gallon of dried pears.



Guess what I'm doing today?

7 comments:

Amanda said...

oh wow!! You'll be eating pears until Jesus comes back! lol...

Will you sell some at the markets?

sherry said...

hehe i like what Amanda said.
very true, that. :o)

Jodi said...

Oh yummy - your pear halves look so delicious! What a haul ... what a blessing!

I just caught up a bit with your last few posts. I'm guessing Mac heads back this weekend. I know you'll savor every moment of time with him this week.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Wowza!

That is fantastic! Not all my family love pears...put how wonderful to have that food stored up for your family!

Sharon said...

What a wonderful bounty! Lots of work though but you'll be glad when you are opening a jar in the winter. :)

Rebecca said...

oh my stinkin' goodness. I am exhausted just LOOKING at all that! Hope they got some yummy wheat bread and cookies too! What kind neighbors!

Are you running out of jars yet? I thought this might be your first big year of canning...but maybe I just didn't know before. I am amazed at you Tracy!

shelia said...

yum! that is one mouth watering picture :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...