Friday, June 4, 2010

National Donut Day


Several donut chains were offering a free donut today in honor of National Donut Day, but none are near us. Perhaps you got one from Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts. My husband often buys donuts for his customers, and was kind enough to bring three dozen donut holes home for our family this evening.



Normally, we love the donuts that he brings. They are from a small bakery that has been in business for over 50 years. We don't get them often since they are an hour from here. (Not to mention that we don't buy bakery products, unless my husband brings them home for a treat.) Of course, I had no idea that he was bringing donuts home, and set out to make a treat for the family. I was a bit worried as I'd never attempted donuts before.


I had no idea what to expect. The children started eating them as soon as I had them glazed. Oohs and aahs were whispered between bites, and then I heard, "This is definitely the best donut that I have ever eaten."


I thought they were just being kind. Surely they weren't better than our favorite bakery, were they?

And then I tasted one. Oh my!

They were better. Much Better!



I made a dozen glazed, four filled with homemade blueberry jam, four filled with homemade strawberry -lemon marmalade, and I filled the rest with lemon curd. Yum!

After all of the compliments I received, I felt like it was National Mom Appreciation Day. The best part? There are leftovers for breakfast. And the donut holes from the bakery? They are still sitting on the counter.

You can find the recipe that I used here.


5 comments:

Terri said...

Wow! Those look great. I'm going to have to try that recipe because everyone loves donuts around here.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You are a wonder! I will look up that recipe and give it a try...right after we finish all our donuts that we bought yesterday.

Barb said...

Hi Tracy,

I found your blog through "Eyes of Wonder". I thought it was so wonderful that she or I should say, her daughter posted about their son's wedding.

You have a beautiful blog! I can't wait to go back and read some of your older posts - they look so inviting. I have always wanted chickens, but my sweet husband says we are gone too much to keep them - but I will have them someday ;o) The doughnuts look wonderful and so do your strawberry scones! I can't wait to read more.

Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
Barb

Tori Leslie said...

Okay so I am truly interested in this recipe. Living in Europe they have no idea what real donuts are and this recipe could be a hit at least with the kids.
I just found your blog and I'm glad I did. I'll be back!

~~Deby said...

drooool.....
but these days my diet has to consist of none of the following:
milk or milk products (cheese yogurt whey..etc)
Eggs
yeast
wheat
peanuts
sugar (only use stevia)
so my friend...any good recipes ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...