Sunday, September 26, 2010

Big Eggs, Little Eggs


When we ordered our chicks way back in the spring we anticipated the day that we'd have fresh eggs come autumn. I didn't want to get my hopes up, so I told myself not to expect anything until November. And then I got tired of waiting. It was then that we added four mature Silver Laced Wyandottes to the flock. They have given us eggs every day since we brought them home. About a month later I added one Easter Egger hen after learning that two of the "all female" chicks that we had ordered in the spring were actually roosters. She started giving us beautiful blue eggs, as seen in the photo. Our hens lay extra large to jumbo eggs. Consistently.

Just yesterday Verne was lamenting the fact that none of the chicks have started to lay, and so I figured out their exact age. They'll be 20 weeks tomorrow.

Today after church, Autumn went to the coop to check on the girls, and came back with these four eggs. Only, one was quite a bit smaller and darker than any egg we've ever had. 1.4 ounces as compared to the usual 2.5 ounces. We got excited thinking that maybe one of the babies has started laying. Then a few hours later we got two more large eggs. Yep- it was a baby! I wish I knew who left us the beautiful little gift. I might give her a kiss!

2 comments:

Nadine said...

We have a mix of big and small eggs right now too. We have our established hens and then some that were purchased in spring...they have been laying for a few weeks now. Nothing better than farm fresh eggs from the backyard! :)

Blessings!
~Nadine

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...