Thursday, October 18, 2012

Inflation



I haven't seen the likes of a full egg carton in nearly two months. Each year, the chickens molt and egg production plunges. Where we often get 18 eggs a day, we have been down to one. ONE EGG A DAY! This is not enough to feed our family. With chicken food prices on the rise, we've been spending  about $30 a month to feed the chickens though they do eat the grass, too. This is seriously troublesome. I'm currently paying $1 per egg.

I gave the ladies a swift warning yesterday and wouldn't you know, four eggs appeared later that afternoon. I think I need to do a little more threatening today.

5 comments:

Terri said...

LOL!!! Maybe that'll work with my roosters? lol

A couple in our church gives us eggs every week and I'm seriously spoiled. I don't know what I'll do if I have to actually start buying them!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Get back to work, girls!

Our little hen is laying about every other day.

Deanna

Mrs. Anna T said...

I'm just wondering, Tracy... it's obvious that 1 egg a day isn't enough for a family. But what do you do with 18 eggs a day?! :o) Autumn mentioned something about washing hair with eggs... I didn't know whether to believe this or not :-)))

Tracy said...

We don't always use 18 eggs a day either, but sometimes we do. Collin and Verne can easily eat four if they're eating them scrambled. I always have some hard boiled to be used on salads or for healthy snacks. Of course there's baking, too. And, we sell them, offsetting the costs for us. When we have enough to sell, we eat for free!

Tracy said...

Yes, Autumn has washed her hair with them. I never have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...