Thursday, August 19, 2010

Swiss Chard


Leafy greens can be bursting with other vibrant colors, too!

Abigail and I planted several rows Swiss Chard in the early spring, but we got a heavy rain and the seeds washed back out again. I was blessed to find several plants at the farmers' market shortly after that. I took them home and planted them in newly constructed raised beds only to be disappointed that they stayed small all summer long. The plants looked healthy enough- they just wouldn't grow.

All of a sudden I have vibrant, large leaves of this wonderfully nutritious plant filling my garden. I simply cut it up- stems and all, and saute it in a little olive oil with garlic. Delicious! And gorgeous, too!

5 comments:

Susan said...

We grew Swiss Chard last summer. It is the most beautiful vegetable!!!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

It is gorgeous! What is the taste like?

sherry said...

i've eaten this vegie plenty of times but have never attempted to grow it. your pictures are beautiful - so colorful.

Tracy said...

Deanna, it's very much like spinach when cooked, but not as mushy. ( I love spinach, BTW.)

Terri said...

I love swiss chard! Ours did the same thing. It stayed small for a long time and then all of the sudden the leaves just took off.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...