Thursday, July 22, 2010

Banana Peppers


He goes to work each day and earns the money to support our family. It's my job to see that the money is spent wisely. I find it deeply symbolic that he works hard in the garden and I work hard to preserve it. He and I? We're a good team. In the garden, and out!

I put up 14 half-pints of banana peppers on the heels of 52 pints of salsa. There are more peppers in the garden just waiting for me to place them in jars, too. We love them on homemade pizza and sandwiches.

Here's my method:

Pick banana peppers, and quickly wash them in cool running water. Prepare *half-pint jars by washing them thoroughly and placing them in an oven preheated to 250 F until you're ready to fill them. Place rings and seals in a pan of water on the stove. Heat, but don't boil them.

Remove tops, and slice the peppers into 1/4 inch rings. In a large pot, combine 7 cups water, 7 cups white vinegar, 1 tsp. turmeric and 2 Tbls. canning salt. Bring to a boil. Place banana pepper rings into the hot jars, and place a pinch of Ball Pickle Crisp on top of each jar. Fill jars with hot liquid, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars, place a seal and a ring on each one.

Hot water bath the jars for 10 minutes. Remove to a towel and leave until cool. Check each jar to make sure that it sealed. (The lids should NOT pop up and down!) Wipe jars and label.

* If you choose to use pints rather than half-pints, process them five minutes longer.




8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hungarian Hot peppers are one of the few things doing "okay" in this years garden. ( I've got to get a soil test kit, the last 2 gardens have been AWFUL).
I do them up in a bread and butter brine, but with slightly less sugar. I also will slice them up thin, fill a quart jar, add about a tablespoon of dried oregano, a half tablespoon of garlic salt, the fill the jar the rest of the way with canola oil, put the lid on and shake well. We just store them in the fridge, and LOVE them with cream cheese on crackers, sandwiches, pizza, scrambled eggs..

I'm looking up the answers to your questions, and I'll let you know when I find them!

Terri said...

Thanks for the recipe, Tracy. I grew banana peppers one year but then didn't really know what to do with them so this is helpful!

Danielle said...

I never seem to get enough at one time to be able to can them. I planted a lot this year so I'm hoping!!!

Sweet post Tracy!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We are growing some sweet peppers this year. Would we do this same process for them? It is basic canning of course but having never canned peppers before.....
52 jars of salsa! I am so impressed! Our tomatoes are just starting to come in and we have tons! Salsa, here we come!

Tracy said...

Sweet banana peppers, Deanna? That's what mine are. If you're referring to a bell pepper, I've never canned them.

Bonnie said...

I just posted the answers to your questions Tracy!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Putting the jars in the oven is an excellent idea! I'm going to do that next time!

randi--i have to say said...

thanks for this recipe! i am copying it off and setting it aside until i find the peppers at the farmer's market. a couple of weeks before canning season gets going here too. :)

randi

http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...