Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Watermelon Picnic


The days have been so hot and humid. Who couldn't use a little refreshment? I've been reading that chickens really enjoy watermelon, and I thought I'd give them a treat. They quizzically looked at it for a few minutes, and then they got down to the business of picking out the seeds. I guess during that task they decided that the actual fruit tasted pretty good, and devoured the entire serving.



I went to the Farmer's Market as is my usual Tuesday morning routine, and chatted with the regular vendors. I gave several older gentlemen the recipe for Cabbage, Bacon, and Noodles. They seemed very anxious to get home and try it.


My sweet husband got the chain link fence installed for the chickens over the weekend. Now we're debating as whether to bury fence under it (to prevent animals from digging in), or to put electric on the outside. Suggestions?


3 comments:

Terri said...

When we had chickens one of the other treats that they devoured within seconds were apple peelings!

Sorry, no suggestions about the fence.

Amanda said...

How interesting! Chickens like watermelon! My they have grown so quickly Tracy...

Sarah said...

Mmm...cabbage bacon and noodles sounds good! Like a recipe my partner's mom always makes - Haluski. She makes the noodles from scratch, and we usually put ground beef or sausage in it. Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...